The firm’s pedigree can be traced to the amalgamation of two very successful Western District Firms that began in the 1920’s, ‘Cameron & Lowenstern’ and ‘Westacott Lord and Hull’.
The summary below charts the various manifestations of the firm that have brought it to its current identity:
CAMERON & LOWENSTERN
- Ewan Carlisle Cameron and Ronald Isaac Lowenstern began the firm in 1928.
- Mr Cameron passed away in 1950 and Mr Lowenstern continued to run the practice.
- Mr Robert Hunter became a partner in 1960.
- During the 60’s and 70’s the firm had a number of other partners:
- Patrick O’Donoghue
- Jeffery Hogg
- William (Bill) Hardman
- Richard Hunter Smith (now a Judge in the Victorian County Court)
- Peter Lowenstern
- In addition, in the late 1940’s Mr Cameron’s son, Oliver Cameron, also returned to the district to run the firm of Sylvester & Sylvester in Casterton. Sylvester and Sylvester merged with Cameron & Lowenstern in the late 1970’s continuing the Cameron’s long history with the firm.
WESTACOTT LORD & HULL
- Westacott Lord & Hull operated in Hamilton since the 1920’s.
- Mr Brian Newns became a partner of Westacott Lord and Hull in 1961.
- The practice subsequently became Hull Newns & Ballantyne and then Hull Newns & Co.
- Geoff Simpson worked as a partner with Hull Newns & Co.
- Hunter Newns and Cornish began in 1984 with the merger of Cameron & Lowernstern and Hull Newns and Co.
- The firm became known as Hunter Newns and Howman in the mid 1990’s after Peter Cornish resigned.
- Then, Hunter Newns in the year 2000 after Pat Howman returned to sole practice in Portland.
- Mr Newns retired from the firm in 2003 and sadly passed away in 2011.
- Robert Hunter retired from the firm in 2007 after 49 years of service.
STRATMANN & CO
- Hunter Newns changed its name to Stratmann & Co on 1 July 2012 when it became an incorporated legal practice conducted by Director Mark Stratmann.
- Mark Stratmann was appointed as Magistrate to the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria on 6 November 2013 and from that date, the firm was under the directorship of lawyers Tim Hallam and Stephen Byrne.
TAYLOR STRATMANN LAWYERS
- Adam Taylor purchased the firm in January 2015.
- Adam Taylor has renewed the firm’s commitment by giving its Hamilton and greater south western clients the highest possible service and expertise in all matters of law.
- Most recently, Employment Law and Estate Planning have been added to the services offered by the firm.